Thursday, January 26, 2006

Freeze Rain

I just want to clarify what freeze rain is.

Freezing rain develops as falling snow encounters a layer of warm air deep enough for the snow to completely melt and become rain. As the rain continues to fall, it passes through a thin layer of cold air just above the surface and cools to a temperature below freezing. However, the drops themselves do not freeze, a phenomena called supercooling (or forming "supercooled drops"). When the supercooled drops strike the frozen ground (power lines, or tree branches), they instantly freeze, forming a thin film of ice, hence freezing rain. http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/cld/prcp/zr/frz.rxml

The ice on the ground varies on how much rain you have that day. On the day when i fell, it was a moderate rain and covers not just the pavement and roads but the ground as well which make it dangerous for anyone to walk on. My friend, Alice, she said that I should've stayed home and not worry about coming to uni. If she told me that beforehand, then i'll be wiser not to go out. Oh well. I learn my lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home